Skip to main content

How Other People See Your Art

I've been making jewelry and doing little art projects the bulk of my life. I mostly create in a safety zone of my comfortable colors, textures and my personal likes. When I stay in this zone I am happy with the end product due to it's so much me. I know as a artist who wants to sell my work I have to step out of that zone more than I would like. 

When someone comes into my booth at a craft show and will say who would wear that I have no problem with it. I know some of my jewelry is out there and not for everyone. I also know that the future owner of that same piece will go nuts over it. I had a lady at a show last year who said she was going to put a necklace she bought on her bed side table so it was the first thing she saw the next day. That makes my heart happy. 

I do try to see my art threw the fresh eyes of those with different tastes. This is where smaller, more quite creations come from. I like jewelry that yells hey look at me, but that is only a part of my customer base. So I have to dial it back a notch from the attention getting jewelry to the jewelry that is part of a style that seeks no attention at all. 

I've had to develop a new more refined pieces to fill this sector of my inventory. I did try a few years back to do this but I went too far and the jewelry was boring. So the everyday look must still be me, but maybe just a little less of me. 

It's hard if not impossible to know what will sell. If I did a show a few years ago and sales weren't good I can do it again and walk away with my property tax budget taken care of. I just never know and I'm not sure there is a way to have a clue about sales. I've kept my Etsy shop for years, thou I did shut it down a few years ago and just reopened last year again. Etsy hasn't ever been a money maker for me, I'm unsure how to change that. 

So all I know is to keep hammering away, designing new jewelry and learning new techniques and stretching my line to be more each year. If I put my all into this it just has to click at some point, but till then I'm in a huge company of struggling artists. 


New items fresh off the bench


I made a "few" purchases at the last bead show
and these beads and pendant were one of them. 
I loved how the beads have that geo look in the
cracks and such sparkle with the mat finish on the outside.
This necklace has sold already. 

I've had this scarab for a few months and was going 
back and forth over whether I wanted to paint it or not. 
Decided on it just being it's copper self and I like it. 
Beads from Stinky Dog Beads


Olivia

Well she has gotten over her fear of the big outside world of my little house and roams around everywhere all the time now. This is her position while I watch TV and she has taken to sleeping with me on her own blanket. She has also become my new alarm clock and goes off between 6:00 - 6:30 every morning. It was at 5:30 at first but thank goodness she is sleeping in a bit now. She is playing with her laser light a friend gave us and seems content watching birds from the window sill. 



A very rough sketch I did the other night while watching tv. 
SaveSave

Comments

Gene Black said…
It is so hard to figure out what the "buying public" will like. I have sold paintings that I love and some that I thought "Ehhhh!" but I put them out there anyway. You just never know. Some that I love have sat there forlornly while (in my eyes) lesser pieces go to new homes.
I have decided to be happy if anything sells!

Popular posts from this blog

Another Big Change...

 that I'm thrilled about. 

Next week unless something unforeseen happens I'll be closing on the sale of my 1925 house in East Nashville and moving away from the part of town I was born, grew up and lived in for the bulk of 61 years. 

This little town is no longer little, or quite, or like I remember. It's growing by leaps and bounds. I like change don't get me wrong but this is too much too fast. I think it's great that for the first time in my memory there is a restaurant close enough to walk to. 
There are great little art galleries, shops and wonderful restaurants popping up all over the place. The meat and three I've eaten at for 15+ years is now very popular. All of this is good - great even. 

But now I want slow and quite.  I've heard that 90+ people a day are moving to Nashville! So I figure this is the time to sell my house and move out of town to a nice quite place. So I call a friend who just happens to be a great realtor and bam! She finds me a house…

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…