Skip to main content

Back to the world of wire

Well after having fun painting for a bit I'm back at my bench. I know there are a lot of jewelry designers who have a "look" to their designs. When I see their jewelry I know who made it. Mine not so much. I'm not sure as an artist if this is a bad thing or not. I guess some artists/designers develop a style. Then there is that whole thing of selling your creations and different people having different taste in colors etc. So if you want to sell do you need to make a wider spectrum of work? Or do you just make what you want and hope it will sell? I have no idea. I know I don't want to make mainstream pieces. For the most part I make what I like and that makes me happy, so I guess that is the right path. I sure hope so.

Here are a few of my recent pieces. 

I have noticed as much as I try it's hard for me to create "random" looking jewelry. 
You would think it would be easy and I'm sure for a lot of people it is, but
my brain seems to want structure even in an off center design. Maybe it was
too many years being a graphic designer - always lining things up just so...who knows. 


I had drifted away from steampunk type designs and have gotten
back to making a few over the last few months. I enjoy the mixed 
materials I use in these. 


I finally completed this free form bracelet and gave it a test drive and
it wears very comfortable. 


A slight eastern influence, so I added jade in the mix. 


Here is one of the abstracts I painted and I used it for a background for
my dapper octopus. He is hanging out in the guest bath which I now call 
the Octopus Garden. 

_______

Well the bloom is off the rose with my new little house (really 12 years old). Sunday morning was off to a odd start with the outside part of my ac unit screaming and grinding to the point I went to the back door to see what was out there - dragons, transformers? 
No just the possible death throws of my ac unit.

I stopped on my way home from church Sunday and got a sub at Publix - oh they are wonderful if you haven't tried one - much better than any of the chains to me.  I was all set for binge watching the new episodes of Midsummer Murders on Netflix when...
I had a little flood in the guest bath, seems the toilet isn't draining out properly. Oh the joys of owning a house. So I have repair guys coming tomorrow and Wednesday and hopefully I won't be on a ramen noodle diet after I pay for the repairs. It's times like these I sure wish I'd paid more attention when Bobby fixed things around the house. We never called a repair person and it is a helpless feeling to have no clue what to do, or who to call. I'm learning thou but somedays it's just real hard. I'm just a 60+ southern woman spoiled by her husband and now trying to learn to stand on my own two feet. Sunday I stumbled, it won't be the last time I have to just keep walking. 

Comments

Quilt Rat said…
I LOVE each and every piece of jewelry you have created...you have a wonderful eye! Your octopuss on the abstract is fabulous....in his garden...perfect!
Sorry to hear that your painful loss has to rear its head like that....hopefully you will find a capable person to make things right and at a reasonable charge....Made me think of how we can take for granted those terrific skills a spouse just seems to innately have.
Royce said…
Thanks so much. I did find honest people to fix things.

Popular posts from this blog

Today is a good day to stay in and work on projects and cook a big pot of veggie beef soup. The older I get the more I dislike cold weather. I have been busy with getting the etsy shop back up and loading items. The last 2 shows put a big dent in my inventory (yea!) so I need to be at the bench as much as I can. 

I did spend the morning yesterday wrapping packages. I listened to Christmas music and it really got me in a happy mood.
Here is the new smaller tree. 
 It would seem that somehow in the move I lost or left all my wrapping paper.  So I got a new roll and a few bags.  I don't normally have it all matching.  My sister was teasing me that I'd had some of my wrapping paper for 10 years...maybe I had, hum.
My current quilting project is a table topper for a friend.  She is very fond of Red Birds. 

Finished the big quilt that was on the "long arm" and how sad is this - I'm using it for a staging table for the items I'm listing on Etsy. I take photos, weigh jewelry and…

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…