Skip to main content

Awaking of My Creative Self

After many months of not having any creative self I slowly started doing things again. I missed that part of me. My creative side has always gotten me threw hard times. It gives me hope and makes my heart happy. I knew I'd have to push myself to get back to where I wanted to be, but I needed that part of me back. I got out a quilt I'd put aside and tried to finish it, but it just seemed to lay on the machine for days with no attention. I would look at it and think I need to finish that but it just didn't happen. I'd lay beads on the jewelry bench and sit and look at them too. Just had a very hard time kick starting myself.

I did sew a little but still had no desire to make the type of projects I once enjoyed. I knew I needed to just make a simple quilt. So I got out these 4 blocks I had picked up at a yard sale.  It helped me to get me sewjo back in motion. I sat it aside and started cutting fabric to make a quilt for a present and got the top and back made. A few days later something kind of wonderful happened.

A friend of mine told me she wanted to sell her sit down long arm! I'd wanted one for ever and this seemed a once in a life time chance since she was willing to let me make payments. So I said yes and her hubby brought the machine by and set it up for me the next day. I was quite in awe of it. It was such a beautiful thing. So the quilt I'd just finished was quickly basted and off I went to get to know this wonderful creature that was now a part of my sewing world.





Since this was my fist quilt to be on the machine I just did what ever to get the feel of the machine. I didn't bast this little table topper except put a pin in each corner and about 5 in the center. I didn't think it would need more since I wasn't going to be squished up to push threw the small space in my home machine. No more of what I called fighting the octopus. 

When I was done quilting I did something I've never done and ripped it off the Husqvarna the trimmed the edges and put the binding on that day! It was done. I was amazed how short of a time it took. 

I had one other quilt, a bed runner that the top was ready and I did the back in record time just to get it to the quilting point, cause I couldn't wait to use the quilter again. 


This quilt had even less basting done. The pins were a good 8" apart. I'd always done about 3" max before. I started to relax and really get into the flow and concentrating on the quilting patterns on this quilt. The machine has a stitch regulator but I've not tried it yet.


I'm getting more comfortable with the quilter and can't wait to try more designs. 

I did notice that my art was changing too. This first drawing was done while I was still in my black and white world. It is called "How My Heart Works" and shows how I was dealing with stress during that period. The mechanics of this machine show how my stress was vented off into steam and smoke and what things in life I needed to make me happy. 
My faith in God, My friends and family and my creative self. 


More recently my drawings changed and color and the details I love were once again back. 
This drawing has many meanings to me. It's based on strength and my love of my mother. 


My beautiful Mother was the strength of our family and she gave us all her support in our lives that I continue to use to this day. I guess it's may seem strange for a Bee of all things to mean strength. I'm so very scared of them. 

One day while at my mom's she was showing me her garden and flying around her tomato plants were these fat bumble bees. I stepped back and tensed up and she just put her sweet little hand towards them and said "You fly away you are scaring my Royce", so calming was her voice that I knew there was nothing to fear. So the bee it's self became a symbol of that courage she passed on to me. Her love of her family was brighter than the sun and just as warm. She gave us so much that I carry threw my life. I miss her dearly and know that she is why I am the person I am today. 




Comments

Barb said…
Lucky you....you are going to have such fun on that machine....
Gene Black said…
I am so glad that you got that machine AND that you are loving it. Your circle-feather is great. I think you have found your groove.

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…
Today is a good day to stay in and work on projects and cook a big pot of veggie beef soup. The older I get the more I dislike cold weather. I have been busy with getting the etsy shop back up and loading items. The last 2 shows put a big dent in my inventory (yea!) so I need to be at the bench as much as I can. 

I did spend the morning yesterday wrapping packages. I listened to Christmas music and it really got me in a happy mood.
Here is the new smaller tree. 
 It would seem that somehow in the move I lost or left all my wrapping paper.  So I got a new roll and a few bags.  I don't normally have it all matching.  My sister was teasing me that I'd had some of my wrapping paper for 10 years...maybe I had, hum.
My current quilting project is a table topper for a friend.  She is very fond of Red Birds. 

Finished the big quilt that was on the "long arm" and how sad is this - I'm using it for a staging table for the items I'm listing on Etsy. I take photos, weigh jewelry and…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…