Monday, February 10

Trying out a few new things

Well with the book I am illustrating quickly coming to an end I am ready to start on some new crafting projects. I am almost out of my metal jewelry and need to get cracking for the summer shows. I have also let my quilting get way behind and want to get that in motion again. So yesterday I spent the afternoon at the jewelry bench playing with a few new materials and techniques. 

I love the look of etched metal but the chemicals you use don't make me want to rush into that, so I'm opting for embossing instead. So I am using some of my old scrap booking supplies to see what can be done. The Big Shot is just perfect for small sections of metal.  I actually bought it for metal not paper (thou I use it for both now). 
So here is the 20 gauge aluminum I embossed with it yesterday. Also a section of very thin copper for it's accent. 


After cutting out the metal and embossing it
I used 2 colors of Guilder's paste to add the rustic/worn patina.
The thin sheet of copper was glued on with E6000. 


These reverse tweezers are one of my fav tools.
I bought 4 (hubby claimed 2) so I ordered 5 more. 
They are great when you are glueing small items. 


Here is heavy brass with embossing
guilder's past and some shiny aluminum bits.

I just happened to mention to a friend that I wanted to 
try making a penny rug. So sweet Pam gave me this beautiful
stack of wool! Aren't these colors beautiful. 

So here is my little first try so far. 
I figured I could aways use another pin cushion. 
I've not done any needlework of this type in many years. 
But with it being primitive I figure my uneven stitches 
and wonky french knots are OK. I co exist well with non perfection. 

Tomorrow I plan on quilting my gray and yellow quilt that has
had a semi-permeant home waiting calmly on the end of the 
sewing cabinet for months. So I thought this afternoon
I'd do some practice on a little mug rug I put together from scraps. 

We are having a free motion class this Saturday at the
Music City Modern Quilt Guild - that will be a good 
practice time too. 




No comments: