Friday, February 14

I love Friday's they are always for playing of one type or the other. Even thou the laundry is getting done at the same time - I always plan a fun project for Friday. 

Today I'll be quilting. Trying to learn feathers. They don't come easy to me, like any other pattern at first. I made a lap quilt that has no pattern in the piecing and it was made just to practice this pattern. Not being afraid of non perfect quilting I'm using black thread! I wanted to make the feathers easy to see which makes my learning curve a little less painful. 
 My very talented friend Stefanie will be doing a workshop
on free-motion this Saturday at our guild meeting

I drew this sewing machine for a friend for Christmas.
I also found out as I was drawing it that she loved
the Sound Of Music - so I just had to tie that in with the drawing. 

She suggested I do a series of quilt related doodles and
below you will find my first one, in a series of 4. 
(pin cushion, rotary cutter, thread and thimble, featherweight)

On Monday I was working on a few new ideas for jewelry and
made these "shield" earrings from aluminum.
Embossed them and then added this rich rust color patina.
I broke my RULE #1 when doing these and didn't work safely.
I was all in an excited fever and wasn't holding my metal shears properly and
now my right thumb join feels like it's 110 years old. So I've had to stay away from
the jewelry bench this week and may have to for several more days. Silly girl. 
But I do really like these. 

And just a little something cute to close with. 
When someone tells you they are going to help with the laundry.
That beautiful face would make any choir a happy one.

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

Royce I think you did well for starting to learn feathers. My first ones ended up in the garbage- never to be seen. Now I wish I had taken pictures of them.
the earrings are lovely.

B J Elder said...

Your feathers are looking good! I'm impressed. As always, your drawings are fabulous! I know your friend had to have loved the sewing machine.
Ian is such a cutie. My goodness, when he is a little older, look out girls!
Now take care of your thumb, and other digits. Don't need to be hurting them. Your jewelry, your art and quilts are always such a joy to see.