Friday, December 13

Back To The Machine

With all the shows this fall/winter I've not had much time for creative sewing. So I really enjoyed making this wall hanging. I really needed to get back in touch with my fiber self. I have had a quilty quilt on the machine for months that needs quilting, but it didn't draw me back like this little wall hanging did. I became pretty absorbed in this project. I have my normal layers of textures and embellishments that I so love to work with. 
 First thing - I pull out my wood burning tool
and attack a section of sheer fabric. 
Note: put a section of card board under the fabric!

This is what it looks like after the fabric is de-stressed. 
I love the look. Then I free motioned over it. 


Then I start auditioning all the different components
I have gotten out for this piece. 
The background fabric seemed too light so I
de-stressed it with Instant Antique. 


It all came together just like I wanted and I 
love the finished piece. 

Here is a closeup of the embellishments.

The back complete with a small book telling
about the piece. The little story is post - apocalyptic. 

Aria let her hand move over the surface of her new treasure, while she listened to the old man - the one they called the Story Teller. 
He told her the fabric she had found was called a quilt. That was something new to her. The Story Teller said ladies used to make them from bright colors of cloth to put on their beds to keep them warm. 
Aria tried to image the home they must have lived in to have such fine things. Many of the things the Story Teller told were from the days “before”. He had been just a boy then, but remembered the stories well. 
She also showed him the other treasures she had found with the quilt. He said the small round metal object was part of a watch. He told her it had been a tool to tell the time of day. All she knew of the times of the day were where the big yellow sun was in the sky. She tried to understand how a watch could see the sun but the story of it’s working was beyond her kin of understanding. 
All she knew was the treasures from “Before” were found at the edge of old town. She was one of the few who would go there anymore.
That night by the light of the fire she took the small amount of precious thread and put all the treasures together. She would hang it on the wall of her hut. The stories of these things from the past - from “Before” she would tell her children one day. 
This treasure was even better to her than what she had found in old town at the last big moon, something the Story Teller called a book.  
_________

When I first started making art quilts I would write little stories about them and 
place them in a pocket on the back of the quilt. I'd stopped doing that a few years
ago but felt the need to start this again. It add another layer of life to the piece for me. 



I used the scraps to make a little mug rug. 

2 comments:

Jayne said...

Beautiful! I love what you did and what you do! And...love the little story! Its a great feeling to have some thing 'call' you back!

Gene Black said...

Your mixed media is so creative. I love it.