Skip to main content

Fabric Road Trip

On Tuesday Susan and I hit the road and went to the quaint little town of Fayetteville TN. Our main reason was to go to  Sirs Fabrics. Sirs has been around since 1948 and is well know for it's priced right fabrics. They have all kinds of fabrics but the home dec is very affordable. Susan was wanting drapery fabric and I needed pillow forms and fabric to make my sister in law some pillows. 


Fayetteville is a small town with not quite 7,000 people. Has some great old homes that are civil war era and just beautiful. We wished we had more time to see the other shops on the town square. Got these great fabrics for just $4.99 a yard. Yes you can order on line. I'll be making my little monsters with this. 




After shopping in Sirs we needed lunch and I suggested we eat at Honey's
I had lunch there the last time I went and really liked it. 
Honey's has over 50 years of good food and friendly service. 



 The inside hasn't changed much from the old photos on the wall. 
After lunch we dropped into the Sugar Shack - oh my goodness. 


This was beyond tasty!

On our way out of town we looked for a quilt shop we had noticed
on our way in. There was a tiny sign out by the main road and
we turned in and saw this beautiful house. I didn't ask how old
the house is - wish I had. The town is full of old civil war era homes thou. 

There was a welcoming committee on the front porch.  
They didn't seem to interested in us till Susan started rubbing
their little heads and talking to them. 

 The shop is the entire downstairs of this home and the owner lives upstairs. 
Each room held different collections of fabrics and the prices were very nice. 
I for sure want to go back and check out when we have more time and money.  


 Susan was told that this is the block that ladies stepped onto as
they were getting out of their carriages. 

I am wanting to make a penny rug and these wool pieces are
the start of a collection for that. I also picked up a few 30's
and some clips for binding. I saw a new Art to Heart book
but I'd spend too much already but it's now on my wish list. 

I may be a mia blogger for a bit due to our new JoAnn's opening
on Aug. 30th. There will be a lot to do getting our new classroom
all ready for the grand opening.
We're all looking forward to the new store. I'll be going in to work
about 30 min prior to my normal hit the snooze time so that will be
hard but it will be a lot of fun setting things up in the classroom. 

Also I will be on a local tv news/talk show on Aug. 29th telling about our
new store and the classes we offer. My 4 minutes of fame. 

Comments

Jenny said…
That sundae looks divine. Last time I went to Sir's, I had considerably fewer children than I do now, and I was able to go to several of the antiques stores around the square. My best find was a cast iron Mickey Mouse cornbread (cake?) mold. I have only used it once, . . . but it was very cute that one time!
Gene Black said…
I may have to make a field trip to Sirs myself! It certainly looks interesting.
NancyL said…
sounds like a great trip.
Nancy lannom
buttonsandstitching.com

Popular posts from this blog

Another Big Change...

 that I'm thrilled about. 

Next week unless something unforeseen happens I'll be closing on the sale of my 1925 house in East Nashville and moving away from the part of town I was born, grew up and lived in for the bulk of 61 years. 

This little town is no longer little, or quite, or like I remember. It's growing by leaps and bounds. I like change don't get me wrong but this is too much too fast. I think it's great that for the first time in my memory there is a restaurant close enough to walk to. 
There are great little art galleries, shops and wonderful restaurants popping up all over the place. The meat and three I've eaten at for 15+ years is now very popular. All of this is good - great even. 

But now I want slow and quite.  I've heard that 90+ people a day are moving to Nashville! So I figure this is the time to sell my house and move out of town to a nice quite place. So I call a friend who just happens to be a great realtor and bam! She finds me a house…

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…