Wednesday, July 10

UFO - back on track

Well I started a "grandmother's flower garden" quilt months ago. If you have ever tried one of these you know it's a slow process and you do really need to stick with it. I didn't. So it just sat there. It seems like you work and sew your little fingers to death and your quilt isn't getting any bigger. 

My first try at this technique was with larger sections and I did a pillow and finished it  pretty quick. Edna taught me this in just a few minutes one day and I just love it. OK I did say I'd never do hand work, but I stand corrected. 

Last night I cut out a lot of new fabrics and organized
them in my "hexie" sewing box. I cut these out with my
studio cutter which is so super fast. 

Isn't this just the cutest fabric!

 Yesterday I printed out some half hexies so my edges will be straight. 
I've seen a lot of quilts that have the regular hex shaped edges but I just didn't
want to try to bind that. So with these half blocks my binding will be straight. 
Much easier. 

The half and whole hexie foundations all ready 

 Then one of those silly ideas popped out of my head. 
I wanted to try a different shape. 
So I made these "double hexie"

After I made the half hexie I saw it would be possible
to work in different shapes such as the double. 
I am still wanting to figure out a way to work 2 different
sizes hexie into one design. 

Puttering around at my jewelry bench 
and made this necklace last weekend. 
The focal element is from an old bracelet that I 
used to wear back in the 80's. 

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Double hexie -- so intriguing!

B J Elder said...

Now your creative juices are flowing as you play around with a double hexie. How fun. Love the fabrics you cut out.

Gene Black said...

What a great little sewing box to keep it all organized!
I love the neckpiece.