Skip to main content

2 Really Fun Days

Well yesterday I went to my friend Stefanie's house and we had a wonderful day quilting. I got the top finished on my gray and yellow quilt (yes that is it's name for now) I am very excited to start quilting on this.  We had a wonderful lunch at Barbara's and were lucky enough to get the last slice of the eye rolling, lip smacking coconut cake. As our sweet waitress told us the last piece is the largest. So we shared this huge piece of cake and discussed our fond memories that the beautiful and oh so yummy cake brought back to both of us. 

My fond memories from childhood was having lunch at Harvey's in down town Nashville. It was a wonderful experience to eat lunch there. It was also THE place to go see Santa. There was a real working merry go round to ride and the carousel horses were a part of the Harvey's logo. They flanked the escalator (the first ones in Nashville). The link above will take you to a great PBS video of  old downtown Nashville during it's prime and there is a section telling about Harvey's. Just the idea of ladies putting on their best dress and hat and gloves to go to lunch is such a beautiful memory. Us little girls wore our best too. It was a big adventure to go to Harveys.



This quilt was a "slightly planned" improv quilt.
The kind I love to make. Not quite sure yet what the back will be.
A trip up to my stash will be a hunt for the just so perfect fabric.
Then to the fun part of quilting. 
The quilt top was made with Moda Comma Charm Pack
and some Moda Grunge Grey

Today Paula and I went to the bead show. For those of you that have never been it's kind of like a quilt show without the gallery of finished quilts. There are classes and lots of vendors who sell anything to do with beading. I saw a new tool that has gone on my Amazon wish list and did shamefully blow my budget and got the lovelies in the pic above. The vendor I picked up all the metal objects from is one of my favorites and I always visit her booth. I could spend tons of money their but did my best to keep control of myself and my plastic. Paula is no help encouraging me to buy things I am just drooling over. She picked up a bracelet mandrel herself that she has been wanting for a long time, to make bracelets from old silver flatware. So we both left happy even thou we were a bit poorer. 

Now it's time to enjoy a quiet night at home with hubby and relax. 

Comments

Gene Black said…
hmm....why not piece the back too? Use a different gray, some black and whites and choose a different color like teal or red for the pop color on the back.
Jenny said…
I love Comma, I keep going back for more of it, I just went back this week.

At our Harvey's (in Murfreesboro), they had a talking Christmas tree -- a super-dense artificial tree with a plastic doll-like face on it, and there was someone inside to talk to customers. I will have to go directly and try to find a picture of it, it would be so absurd today.

My father was/is a teacher in town, and I remember that once, when my little sister was so small, the tree said, "Hello, Mr. Sullivan!" and it was so shocking to her that the tree somehow knew Dad. It was very magical.

Many years after Harvey's closed, this crazy plastic-doll-faced tree showed up on someone's porch in the historic area of town; not one of the nice, preserved or restored homes, but a home where you could imagine this bizarre thing being put out on the porch and left. I think probably the whole town enjoyed that.
Jenny said…
No luck with a picture, but I seem to have found the guy whose father created them! http://historicnashville.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/fred-harvey-harveys-department-stores/
MissMary said…
Barbara's is THE BEST! So glad they reopened! I'm salivating just thinking about it...

Popular posts from this blog

Another Big Change...

that I'm thrilled about. 

Next week unless something unforeseen happens I'll be closing on the sale of my 1925 house in East Nashville and moving away from the part of town I was born, grew up and lived in for the bulk of 61 years. 

This little town is no longer little, or quite, or like I remember. It's growing by leaps and bounds. I like change don't get me wrong but this is too much too fast. I think it's great that for the first time in my memory there is a restaurant close enough to walk to. 
There are great little art galleries, shops and wonderful restaurants popping up all over the place. The meat and three I've eaten at for 15+ years is now very popular. All of this is good - great even. 

But now I want slow and quite.  I've heard that 90+ people a day are moving to Nashville! So I figure this is the time to sell my house and move out of town to a nice quite place. So I call a friend who just happens to be a great realtor and bam! She finds me a house…

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…