Wednesday, June 1

I said I'd never do it...

Hand sewing that is. Well what do you know, I guess the old saying of never say never applies here. I was so stubborn about hand sewing saying I only did this when sewing on beads or embellishments I just couldn't get under my sewing machine foot. I do push a lot of whacky stuff under the foot too, metal, screen, wire - well you know how I am.  I got a book with a beautiful grandmother's flower garden quilt in black and white and just fell in love with it. I showed it to my friend Edna and she said the best way to do this was to hand sew it. My heart dropped. But game for most anything I figured I'd give it a try. Was I ever surprised when I fell in love with it. Edna made me a template and I cut out the freezer paper and then ironed on to my fabric and cut that out. Sewed the paper down and then started hooking the sections together - Hooked! I will admit I've wish listed the die for this method on Accuquilt and will order it very soon. It cuts both the paper and fabric - genus! So I'll finish up this table runner and my next one will be all cut out with the crank of the wonderful handle. Till then thou I'll keep cutting by hand.
The white fabric has a white print of ginkgo leaves on it. I may not be able to pass up putting a touch of red in this little runner. I have some beautiful red orientals.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Well....I agree, never say never....it comes back to haunt you....

MissMary said...

Ha ha! A convert! ;-)

Cornwoman said...

Welcome to the "club" of hand stitchers! I've always loved doing hand work...quilting, piecing, applique. There's a peace that can't be described when I do hand work. If you haven't seen her site yet, check out the Thimble Lady, who does a lot of hand work. I don't know if you'd like it, but she has these little plastic devices that I use when doing GFG type stuff where you whip stitch, that allows you to take the tiniest, most regular stitches. And I love the custom thimble that I got from her.