Monday, March 7

Thread Sketching

When I first started learning to do free motion I took large print fabrics and "traced" the patterns on them to teach myself to follow a line. This was much harder for me than just doing my regular stippling.  It took me a while to get this down and "stay inside the lines". I continue to practice this but I've started using simple drawings I've done and I'm having a lot more fun with it. When one of my quilting buddies got me involved in drawing Zen Tangles/Doodles it open a new door for my drawing and I find these little drawings perfect for free motion - if simplified. So here is Klunker. He was named by Robbin in the Love Of Art Quilts group on Quilt With Us. I think his name is a perfect fit. First I drew him on fabric with a wash out pencil then got down to the fun of free motion sketching. I added the gray shading with a fabric felt tip. I've tested this marker and the color holds well after washing. It's a Y&C FabricMate. Oh and the pencil is by fonts & porter.


Now all klunker needs is a little background quilting - 
maybe large pebbles and a back and border. 
We'll see how he's doing tomorrow.

4 comments:

Barb said...

I too find that straight lines are more difficult...thanks for the tip....

BJ said...

You are doing a great job with Klunker. Your stitching is looking great! Can't wait to see what setting you put him in.

Gene Black said...

I love it.. that is amazing.

Judy Alexander said...

This is really a fun little guy!