Friday, October 22

Finishing Up The Old & Getting Ready For The New

This is the quilt that had been sitting around unfinished for months. It's not my normal way to let things sit, but this one just fell aside and well you know how it goes. So Wednesday I sewed the binding strips together and machine sewed it to the front of the quilt. I went to my big comfy chair to clip the binding around to the back with the little clips I use and got engrossed in a movie my hubby was watching. Next thing I know I'm doing something for the first time...hand stitching the binding on the back. All my quilting buddies who have been quilting for years say this is the way to do it, but I was very resistant. I am known for saying "I only hand stitch when adding embellishments." Well, I might have a change in my thinking now. This was so relaxing, I was shocked. For those of you who do your binding this way all the time I'm sure you are smiling to yourself and nodding at your screen, but this new experience was just a zen moment for me. So now this old quilt, Asian News is completed and last night kept me warm and cozy. My husband asked me while I was hand stitching are you sewing or keeping your legs warm, I just smiled and said both.


The center panel which was free motioned. 


Scrappy quilt made from every fabric I had in earth tones with Asian charters.



The back uses a large print with Geishas. 

Well with this old project completed it's time to move on. So I'm back to working on my Civil War quilt and as a break today I'm making some fruit loaded oatmeal cookies for the very first guild meeting which will be this Saturday. Our new guild - Music City Modern Quilters Guild has it's first introduction meeting this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. A great excuse to bake, don't you think? 



3 comments:

Barb said...

wow....so pretty!

Gene Black said...

I may have to try that "hand stitching" thing I have heard of...someday.

Ivory Spring said...

What a beautiful quilt.