Wednesday, October 27

The Excitement of A New Art Quilt


Yesterday I printed out a bird from a book I illustrated and thought I would use it in an art quilt. This quilt will have the inchies in it I received in a swap. One of the little inches has a birds head on it and that was my inspiration for this wall hanging. First I drew the bird with my new favorite tool the Fonts & Porter mechanical pencil with the white lead. Then I started coloring in with a combination of Crayola fabric Crayons and Pentel Fabricfun pastel dye sticks. The Crayola's are not meant to be use directly on fabric, but you know I seldom pay attention to things like that. (It's just not machine washable.)

Next I'll outline the bird and give him a few extra line with free motion. Then more coloring, and move on to the next part of the piece - the background for the inchies.

I just love starting a new wall hanging, it's very exciting to see what direction things will flow. I've already changed the design once. Sometimes what is great in my head is only so so on fabric.

1 comment:

Gene Black said...

Ha ha... " but you know I seldom pay attention to things like that"

I understand that only too well. Me too!