Tuesday, August 17

Blast From the Past

Very often after I've put down my book for the night and I'm trying to go to sleep (not something that is always easy) I'm thinking of my current or next fiber piece. Last night just as I turned out the lamp I looked at this basket in our bedroom and it gave me an idea for my next piece. Funny where inspiration will spring from. This basket was made so many years ago. I was living in Jax Florida at the time and was a weaving nut. The kitchen was my "studio" and a pan of water was always on the floor with soaking reed and very often dye was on the stove. This was my first experience with 3 demential work, and I loved it. After taking a wicker class at the local basket shop it shortly became my favorite form of basketry. This style can just go in any direction and I loved it's endless possibilities. This was one of my favorites and I've kept it all these years.





Here is me back in the 80's (far left) teaching the free form wicker class at one of the shops in Jacksonville. I had ladies come from Georgia/Northern Florida to take the class. It was an all day workshop and a ton of fun. This was my first experience teaching and I also found out how much I enjoyed that.

OK so enough for my flash back. Zooming back to present day, I have started doing the sketches for my next piece and it will be influenced by this basket, I made many years ago. Inspiration comes from the world around us. It's always so interesting to see threw an artist's eye how every day objects shape their art.

1 comment:

Cynthia Eloise said...

an amazing basket. can't wait to see where your inspiration takes you.