Skip to main content

Poof & It's Gone

Tuesday I went out to JoAnns to spend the afternoon sewing. It's really fun to sew with a group of people. The instructor, Edna is pretty all knowing to me and I always have a question of the week for her. This week I had taken my disappearing 9-patch table topper to work on. (Wednesday I basted this with Stefanie's swift tag gun, I'd never used it and LOVE it)



Back to Tuesday: When I'd finished my D9P Edna said she had another block to show me - oh goodie! So to get me wondering she said you need 2 high contrast fabrics. So we go out and pick out some fabrics (the good thing about sewing at JoAnn) and then she told me to cut out 2 strips 5.5" wide, and sew them together. I do this. Then she said cut the strips into 5.5" sections, and sew together with light to dark. I do this. Aren't I good at following directions. I have no idea where this is going at this point.



Then she tells me to cut here and here, here and here.
1.5" from the center point.
(I cut these the next day while I was watching TV and cut them
at 1", but it still turned out OK. I can't cut and watch TV I guess.)



Then she did a quick switch-a-roo and WOW!
So this is the disappearing 4-Patch! I never knew.
What fun. I was so tickled you would have though I'd just won the lottery.



Sew them together and you get this.



I don't have my 9 blocks finished yet, still have 3 to cut/sew, but won't this be a cute little table topper! I am in love with this. It sure looks like I went to a lot of trouble cutting strips and doing a lot of thinking/piecing, but no, pretty darn easy - and that's the way I like it.




Yesterday I went to Stefanie's to sew. We had ordered some fabrics from Hancocks and my stuff was there waiting for me. Had to share this darling Alexander Henry fabric called Merry Moderns. I knew when I saw this on line it would be mine and I bought it to make something for my little sister. Not sure yet what it will become...hum. It's screaming fussy cutting thou.



And for my collection, I couldn't pass this up. They were HALF price. OK I do think there is a rule somewhere you have to buy stuff when it's that cheep - you've heard that right? That's what I told my hubby - can't break those quilting rules.


Today I've been working on some illustration for a cute little book "Here We Go To Grannie's House", but think I need to take a sewing break and finish up that blue D4P. I have an art quilt project floating in my head for after that. I just have to try out some of the techniques from the metal work DVD. My brain might explode if I don't.

Comments

Barbara said…
I love your D4P, what a neat pattern! I especially like the blues and brownish/golds together in the print. Very nice!
Cynthia Eloise said…
what a cool technique. thanks for sharing. i too have a problem with fabric sales. i love the way they bundle those little fat quarters. how can you resist.
BJ said…
I'd done the D9P but hadn't seen the D4P - way cool! I'm going to have to do this one! Thanks for sharing.
Sandy B said…
Thank you Royce - this is so neat. Ask Edna if she had done it with any other blocks.

Popular posts from this blog

Another Big Change...

 that I'm thrilled about. 

Next week unless something unforeseen happens I'll be closing on the sale of my 1925 house in East Nashville and moving away from the part of town I was born, grew up and lived in for the bulk of 61 years. 

This little town is no longer little, or quite, or like I remember. It's growing by leaps and bounds. I like change don't get me wrong but this is too much too fast. I think it's great that for the first time in my memory there is a restaurant close enough to walk to. 
There are great little art galleries, shops and wonderful restaurants popping up all over the place. The meat and three I've eaten at for 15+ years is now very popular. All of this is good - great even. 

But now I want slow and quite.  I've heard that 90+ people a day are moving to Nashville! So I figure this is the time to sell my house and move out of town to a nice quite place. So I call a friend who just happens to be a great realtor and bam! She finds me a house…

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…