Skip to main content

New Goodies & Old Friends

On Friday I drove over to my buddies mom's house and picked her up and we went out to hook up with my little sister so she could take a few photos of us before Janice flew back to California. I know I'd mentioned this before but Janice and I went to high school together and had lost track of each other for over 30 years and it was beyond description to hear from her one day on facebook. She found me and I just can't say how happy I am that happened. As much as we tried to sit for our photos we ended up giggling just like we did back in the 70's - some things never change. It was a really good day.


Saturday hubby and I had errands to run and one of our stops was to my good quilting buddy Paula's house. She was having a yard sale and I needed to check out what goodies she was letting go of. She has a wonderful collection of 30's - 50's stuff and I was on the look out for 50's stuff for Angel (her kitchen is dotted with the 50's) Did find a wonderful square cake carrier in shinny metal with a cool slanted handle. Not a speck of rust and ready for Angel to carry a pretty cake in.

After looking over the yard sale stuff Paula said oh I have something for you and after a quick trip to her sewing room comes back with this,

Isn't she just to die for. I have started a small collection (will it stay small?) of children's sewing machines. So far I have 4. Only one is electric. One day while wandering around on flicker I stumbled across a person who has a wonderful collection and after drooling over them I decided I just had to have a few. I'd looked at them at quilt shows and just never used my fabric money to get one, so Paula got me my first one and then continued to build my collection. Now she has given me all 4 that I have. Thanks so much Paula, I just love them.


They all sit on the shelf above my cutting table so I can see them all the time.


Yesterday I started the beading on the fiber art I am showing at the Tomato Festival. The gallery Art & Invention always has a great show with themed art for the festival. This will be my 3rd year to show there.

This is the canvas the fiber art will be mounted on, hopefully today.


Also on Saturday I picked up 2 new goodies at the post office. One was a book on how to do wire wrapping (jewelry) and the other was this great DVD on adding metal to your art quilts. I do think - trying not to sound dramatic, but this may have changed my outlook/direction on my art quilts. This is a wonderful class on DVD and covers tools, supplies and has great how to info. I just can't wait to try some of this stuff, it will happen very soon. Up to this point all I've added to my fiber is wire I'd either just bent or bent/hammered. Now a whole new world has opened up, and I can't wait to run threw that door. There is a video on the link above to see a teaser of what is on the DVD. That was what hooked me what I saw this.

Comments

BJ said…
Isn't it fun to have friends that no matter how long it is between get togethers, when you do it is just like you were never apart? You and your HS friend look terrific! I love that picture, it says so much about you both.
What fun to get another little sewing machine. Neat collection.
Ooooh, can't wait to see how you work the metal work into your art quilts -- seems like the perfect marriage for you, along with your clay pieces.
Cynthia Eloise said…
i'll be anxiously awaiting to see what you do with the metal. i bought a package of metal squares but haven't had the chance to experiment with them yet.
Angel said…
I LOVE the new little sewing machine!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Another Big Change...

 that I'm thrilled about. 

Next week unless something unforeseen happens I'll be closing on the sale of my 1925 house in East Nashville and moving away from the part of town I was born, grew up and lived in for the bulk of 61 years. 

This little town is no longer little, or quite, or like I remember. It's growing by leaps and bounds. I like change don't get me wrong but this is too much too fast. I think it's great that for the first time in my memory there is a restaurant close enough to walk to. 
There are great little art galleries, shops and wonderful restaurants popping up all over the place. The meat and three I've eaten at for 15+ years is now very popular. All of this is good - great even. 

But now I want slow and quite.  I've heard that 90+ people a day are moving to Nashville! So I figure this is the time to sell my house and move out of town to a nice quite place. So I call a friend who just happens to be a great realtor and bam! She finds me a house…

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…