Friday, July 23

Fire & Metal

I've been in a flurry of activity today working on a new piece. I sketched this up, hum maybe 2 years ago and it's been floating around in the back of my mind ever since. When I was watching the DVD on metal/wire on art quilts thou it finally was clear to me how to complete this idea.

So today I've been bleaching fabric, burning fabric, doing free motion and then playing with wire. That is screen from a window in the middle and I even was brave and sewed that on the machine. Normally I do hand work only when I'm doing embellishing such as beads, and had planned on sewing the screen on by hand, but thought - hum I'll give it a try. It worked!



The light gold fabric is very sheer and I made the holes in it with a wood burning tool. It was a little smelly, but worked great. I've had that tool for a good bit and have never used it till today. Had the Dremel out today too making the legs for this which are bamboo. I have a little group of "girl tools" in my play room and today they came in very handy.

1 comment:

maggi said...

Fantastic textures and colours.