Skip to main content

A Tale of Two Buttons

You know how you share funny stories with your friends and when you bring them up you still all laugh your self silly for months on end? Well this is one of those stories. I sure hope it's as funny to you as it's been for us. One day while out fabric shopping, our first stop was at JoAnn. It was my good quilting buddies Paula and Stefanie. We had done all our shopping and were headed for the checkout when I walked over to look and see if a silly little something I'd had my eye on was on sale yet. You know, one of those things you don't need and really serves no other purpose except to make you smile. JoAnn had a new group of home deco stuff for your craft or sewing room and these big buttons just made my heart sing. So I've been looking at them for several weeks and when I go to check them out there is just ONE red button left and it's 40% off. OK that's it, it will be mine. So I grab it off the display and holding it tight I go back and show off the dear fine to the girls. Paula said she must have one too and I told her there is one blue one left. So the 3 of us go tromping back to look at the buttons and Paula puts the blue one in her cart and we are looking at these cute wood boxes with treadle machine silhouettes on them and as I reach out to pick up this box my beautiful red button slips from my grasp and in slow motion hits the floor and becomes about 50 pieces. This is the point when Paula and Stefanie wish they had a camera. Stefanie said the look on my face was like a little kid who just saw the scoop of ice cream fall off the cone and knew there was no more. I made a Lucy crying sound and the girls couldn't help it but just cracked up. After they got control of themselves Paula offered me her blue button and I was so dejected that I just said oh just put it in the cart. Stefanie later went to the JoAnn in her area and look, no red button. One night while in JoAnn shopping for fabric Paula saw them - AAAAAHHHHHHH (angel's singing) so she didn't have a coupon so she did what we've all done and hid them under a rug in the display. She came back the next morning and as she was getting out of the car she realized, oops I forgot my coupon - drives back home gets coupon, returns to JoAnn and gets me 2 red buttons (for now they have 2 sizes) and herself the smaller of the blue button. So yesterday I took her big blue button back to her and now finally after a silly tale have my 2 beautiful big red buttons on my wall (hung securely)


You would think nothing would top finally getting my buttons, but Paula had been out shopping @ goodwill for jeans to make hand bags from and found these bib overalls. Knowing I love Mickey Mouse she got them and made me this apron. Isn't it the cutest! With all those pockets I'll never leave my glasses or a pencil laying on the other side of the room again. I don't normally wear an apron to cook unless it's something really messy, but I do often wear one while working on stuff in my play room - just need the pockets. This is beyond perfect.

The cutest details.
And to make it kind of girly it ties with a ribbon.


As an on going thing I am trying to learn how to paint on fabric. My first attempt was a little tote bag Stefanie embroidered for me all in black thread of a sale boat. My sun set sky turned out very muddy and I saw how easy it was for the paint to bleed on the fabric. Much more practice would be neede here. So I played with it again Friday and did this. Again I had bleeding issues but after I got to looking at it I liked it? Go figure. So I did some stitching on it and made this post card. I just love it! Isn't it funny how things can go from disappointment to joy.


Happy Father's day to all.

Comments

BJ said…
LOL - I love those buttons, too, and have looked at them at JoAnn's and considered getting them. I can just imagine how your heart sunk when the first one dropped and broke. How fun that there is a happy ending to the tale.
Your apron is great fun - love the idea of making it from bib overalls - will be on the lookout for them. I'm thinking a little girl apron too with some embroidery. Hmmmm.
Your painting looks great as well.
So much fun - and so well deserved.
Barb said…
Love your buttons and the story...you sure have some fun friends to hang around with and you sure live near alot of stores (sewing and fabric).

Popular posts from this blog

Another Big Change...

that I'm thrilled about. 

Next week unless something unforeseen happens I'll be closing on the sale of my 1925 house in East Nashville and moving away from the part of town I was born, grew up and lived in for the bulk of 61 years. 

This little town is no longer little, or quite, or like I remember. It's growing by leaps and bounds. I like change don't get me wrong but this is too much too fast. I think it's great that for the first time in my memory there is a restaurant close enough to walk to. 
There are great little art galleries, shops and wonderful restaurants popping up all over the place. The meat and three I've eaten at for 15+ years is now very popular. All of this is good - great even. 

But now I want slow and quite.  I've heard that 90+ people a day are moving to Nashville! So I figure this is the time to sell my house and move out of town to a nice quite place. So I call a friend who just happens to be a great realtor and bam! She finds me a house…

Holidays - Oh how I love them

I've just put the last show of the year behind me and now it's time to really get going for the holidays. I have a quilt on the machine ready to be quilted. Fabric stacked on the other machine ready to be cut. Canvases ready for backgrounds - well in other words - fun stuff a-plenty. 

The weather has turned cool - cold and it will soon be Thanksgiving. Since this is my first Thanksgiving in my new home we will have our dinner here. The turkey is waiting in the frig and the menu settled and the shopping done - I think I'm ready. 

For some reason the days before the holidays I always feel the need to do something new to the house. Why... don't you have enough on your plate? I guess not. Yesterday I painted an accent wall in the kitchen and hung a shelf and photos. The kitchen is yellow, it's a nice color of yellow, but I'm just not crazy about yellow. I went grey on this wall and I really like it.


This is only part of the wall, there are more photos etc, but this sh…

Managing Time

One thing I have found during the last 10 months is I have trouble managing my time like I have in the past. Seems like distractions and life run all over the schedules I make. I sometimes wonder if I'm like the little dog in UP and get the squirrel distraction.
For what ever the reasons this blog has drifted off into my Scarlet area of "I'll deal with it tomorrow. "

With my first show of the year just a few weeks out I'd normally be in full swing of creating new pieces for the show. I have only started creating again a few months back and seem to be getting into the flow of working at my bench once again, thou now as regular as I did in the past.  Here are a few of the recent items.


 This brass butterfly was given a rusted look with alcohol inks. 
An old sewing machine bulb, the end of a fork and some wings created this pendant
The focal element of this necklace is from a vintage bracelet
Then one day I decided to get out the poly clay again.  I've not done anythin…