Tuesday, June 22

The Search Is On

This past Saturday while over at Paula's sewing I decided I needed a "new" machine to use for my carry around machine. The first machine I bought was a little $99 White which I still use for some things. (mostly foundation piecing and sewing on paper) I use my Pfaff for everything else. I love my Pfaff. About 2 years ago I bought a Singer for around $150 and thought it would be a good traveling machine, but I was wrong and this past Saturday it gave up while sewing denim. So we fell back on Paul's Pfaff. That was when it came to me that I just needed to get rid of the White and the Singer and just get a second Pfaff. I love them and I'm now hunting for a good used one. After a few phone calls yesterday I was unable to find what I had in mind at the 2 remaining Pfaff shops here in town. One dealer did say he had several in the "back" but hadn't checked them out yet and done the refurbishing on them. So that is a slim possibility. The down side was one shop told me a used Pfaff might still cost me $900.00+ - yikes. Not at all what I had in mind for the 2nd machine. I am a little afraid to buy from an unknown person on line. Have heard several horror stories from other folks about their experiences. So the hunt is on in full swing now. I'd love to get one that I can use all my same attachments on, since I've invested some money in feet etc.

Today I'm heading out to go sew at JoAnns with a great group that meets out there every Tuesday. I have my Christmas Reindeer quilt top done and will finish the back and get it pinned and ready to quilt. I'd planned to have this done by now, oh well. Well need to get packed up to go. Will drag the little White out again.

3 comments:

BJ said...

Hope you can find a good second machine for not too much $$ that will fit all your needs and desires!
Sounds like you have a fun day planned for today. Enjoy.

Cottonwood Quilter said...

You might think about getting a good Singer Featherweight. They are light and sew great. I have one that I find myself using day to day, as it is a real work horse.

Gene Black said...

Out of curiosity, I did a little browsing online. Those things must be amazing. Cheapest I found for a refurb was $699.