Friday, September 11

Pattern For The Sunflower Quilt



OK here is the design for my sunflower quilt, "Home Away From Home". This quilt will be 52" square. The happy bee loves his sunflower and after I figure out how to do it there will be a 3 dimensional bee on the center of the flower. Samples of the fabrics are in a previous post.

Here is what I have planned: the blue background will be one fabric and the 2 sunflower blocks will be of this same fabric so they will be a slight design in the background. The sunflower leaves and pedals will be a solid color fabric with some fabric paint and tons of thread painting to give the dimension for a more lifelike look. The center of the flower will be the sunflower block done in 2 brown batiks and have small circular quilting. The bee motif in the lower right will be thread painted but in a color of thread close to the color of the blue background. This bee is only a motif to add to the quilting, but keep with the theme of the quilt.

Hope I've made this clear and you get a good impression of what I have in mind. I'm hopefully going to start cutting my fabrics this Sunday. I'm a huge believer in advise from other quilters and if you see any edits that need to be made to the design or have other suggestions please let me know.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Royce, I can't think of a thing to change. When your quilt is assembled and you do your 'threadpainting' on it, that will really bring it to life!
Is this your pattern/idea for the sunflower blocks? That is a great idea; tha will add interest to your piece. And the backing is perfect.
I'd say 'go with the plan'
Gwen