Wednesday, December 10

Love of Books

I love books to inspire me. Books filled with images of art done by talented craftspeople that make my jaw drop. I have a bookcase just for my art and crafts books. I look for them everywhere I go. Here are just a few of my favorites. 

400 Stunning Contemporary Designs, 512 pages
This huge book is great when you need inspiration.
This book features 10 years worth of the most innovative pieces 
chosen for the Quilt National biennial exhibition - 
the top showcase for modern quilt artists.
Lark has a huge selection on there site for just about any craft you are interested in.

This is a great inspiration book for mixed media/wall hangings
I stumbled upon this at a local fabric store. It has tons of great ideas
for working with photos and has lots of embellishment ideas.

I was in the shop where I got my Phaff (Performance 2058) one day
and saw a display for a class by Christopher. I stood and looked at his work
for a good while, not able to even conceive how they were made. I was in love. 
I took the class and at our first break I bought the Baby lock Embellisher.
I would have never bought the Embellisher if I'd not seen Christopher's work.
It's not your normal "felting" you think of with needle punching. 
It's rich classy fiber textures with a huge punch.
Christopher handbags are killer too. Check out his site.

I saw this one day while looking over books at my local BAM and just
loved it. It reminded me of my first embroidery book I had when I was a teenager.
Every stitch is shown in great color photos with very clear directions.
Even if you've not done this before it's very easy. I love embellishing with beads.


Those are just a few of my favorite books. These get pulled off the shelf often.
I also have several subscriptions to magazines and I guess Quilting Art's 
is one of my favorites. When you visit their site also check out the other publications.
has great ideas for your studio, it shows everything from the studio dreams are
made of and back to the real world of small rooms, and even just a corner of your home.

No comments: