Thursday, November 13

Scrapbooking Stencils & Thread Painting

Quilters, check out the scrapbooking
section of your craft shops.

    Working in a lot of different mediums I normally (when I have time) look over all the different sections in my local craft shops. You just never know when you will find that little something that will work just perfect with one of your projects.

    While we were in a scrapbook shop in Gatlinburg I picked up this stencil and thought, hey this will work great for a pattern for thread painting. I'd not done any thread painting and thought this might be a good easy starter project.

    I put the stencil on my fabric and pounced it, then took it to the machine and started sewing. It was a really fun project. I've not determined what I'll do with this yet, but it will come to me. So for now it's hanging on the wall so I'll think about it when I'm at my machine.

    I did the outline first then filled in the leaves in golden yellow and then went back over them in orange to give them a nice fall look. I did the tree in 4 colors. Started of with the med brown for the outline, then filled in the lighter colors. Finished off by adding the dark brown to show the details. I think it needs some grass too.

    One interesting thing I noticed from doing this was a nice surprise when I turned it over to clip some threads. At this point I don't have a back on the quilt, only the front and batting. When I turned the piece over the back was beautful. My bobbin thread is black so it looked like a pen and ink drawing. I'll just have to do one now in all black on a light color fabric.

No comments: